Friends, As covered in one of my previous blog:
We were discussing about ifilters , so How to get these ifilters and what are the various steps need to be taken in the configuration of ifilters? I will work with the example of PDF and the same works for the other types of ifilters or the extension of document which you want in search.
So, to install a PDF ifilters:
- Download Adobe PDF Ifilters for 32 & 64 bit platform in MOSS and 64 bit for SharePoint2010.Example Link for pdf version 11 is given below:
- Run the setup
- When the welcome page comes in, click Next.
- When the Software License Agreement page comes, click Accept.
- When the Choose Installation Location page comes, click Next.
- When the confirmation is displayed that the installation was successful, click OK.
Now to crawl the pdf files with pdf icon images , we have to put the image at SharePoint binary location:
Copy ICPDF.gif(it can be copied from installed files of ifilter) to location drive at which SharePoint Binaries installed: $\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Images.
A PDF extension entry need to be added in SharePoint XML file:
Edit the file \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\Template\Xml\DOCICON.XML and put
<Mapping Key=”pdf” Value=”icpdf.gif”/>
Reset IIS to clear the cached settings. It is better to go for iisreset with noforce command: iisreset /noforce
It is pretty necessary to add the file types in the index list, only then the search will work:
- On the SharePoint Central Administration home page, Goto Shared Service Provider to open the Shared Services Provider administration site.
- On the Shared Services Administration home page, in the Search section, click Search settings.
- On the Configure Search Settings page, click File types.
- On the Manage File Types page, click New File Type.
- On the Add File Type page, in the File extension box, type pdf and click OK.
Note: If the filter for a document is installed after content is indexed, Full crawl on the content indexes need to be done in order to reflect the changes and include PDF documents in search results.
Hope I was able to describe the content correctly based on my knowledge and learning.
If you liked this post, do like on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/Ashishsharepointblog